PA-OAS 6: Activity Technical and Safety Requirements
The organization considers safety and technical requirements, competence of leaders, and the abilities of participants when engaging in potentially demanding activities.
The agency evaluates potentially demanding activities for level of difficulty and undertakes only those within the competence of the leaders and the abilities of participants.
Participants and personnel use protective gear and equipment when appropriate, including:
- personal flotation devices (Type III) for water activities;
- location devices and reflectors for dusk and night activities;
- helmets for biking, climbing, caving, or other appropriate activities; and
- other protective gear and equipment, as appropriate to the activity to be undertaken.
The agency maintains clear guidelines and trains personnel and participants, as appropriate, on safely building and extinguishing fires.
Ropes courses, alpine or climbing towers, and artificial wall climbing activities meet the following requirements:
- the facilities and equipment used have been constructed by or are under the supervision of recognized experts in the field;
- personnel have been trained by recognized experts in the field and have a working knowledge of ropes course and climbing equipment elements, technology, construction, usage, and inspection; and
- appropriate inspection and safety procedures have been fully implemented.
COA does not approve, certify, or accredit ropes courses, alpine or climbing towers, or artificial wall climbing programs. The agency must seek independent review by recognized experts for that purpose. The agency’s primary responsibility is to ensure the safety of participants and personnel. Therefore, PA-OAS 6.04 applies both to facilities owned or operated by the agency, and those used by the agency’s participants but owned and operated by others. In all cases
, the agency must provide authoritative information regarding compliance with accepted standards for special program components.
NA Tha agency does not carry out the specified activities or program requirements.