PA-TS 5: Training Direct Service Personnel Providing Developmental Disabilities Services*
Personnel who provide direct services to people with developmental disabilities are trained and able to provide services, supports, and other forms of direct assistance.
Update: Added Core Concept Standard - 04/01/11
Added Core Concept Standard
NA The agency does not provide any programs
or services that are designed to serve persons with developmental disabilities.
NA The agency is implementing the standards for Services for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities (PA-DDS).
Direct support personnel are trained and competent in:
- establishing rapport with persons served;
- interaction and communication techniques;
- implementation of person-centered service plans;
- implementing the principles of self-determination and inclusion;
- use of assistive technology;
- teaching ADLs; and
- recognizing and addressing abuse, neglect, and exploitation.
Training can include, as appropriate to the service and needs of persons served:
- management of behavior, including risk of harm to self or others;
- positive behavioral supports;
- assisted dining techniques and good nutrition;
- lifting and transfer techniques;
- safe transportation techniques;
- health related supports; and
- medication administration.